Monday, June 13, 2011

The Switch

No, not the Jennifer Aniston RomCom (though I must admit, I did see that this weekend, and it was much better than anticipated...had a relatively good underlying message for a movie of its category), a temporary career shift. One advantage of being a teacher is being able to use my summer for different purposes than educating the limited number of youth in my immediate vicinity of Columbus. I have officially made "the switch" to interning at Veritas, the church of which I have been a member since I graduated college in 2009.

I can't say the entire move has been flawlessly beautiful, though I am basking in the joys of being able to do ministry in what currently feels like a limitless manner as rules against speaking truth in my own office have been repealed. I have, however, come to learn and love specific things about my summer experience at Veritas thus far:

1. God provides new ways to pursue my passions-- One thing I have come to enjoy a great deal about the mind and passions God has granted me is instances in which I may facilitate an hospitable environment. Moving back home to save money and participate in the complex year with which my family has been blessed seemed to limit this gift in its development. But, God is gracious! He has invited me, via Veritas, to become a source of vision and execution of hospitality for the church. I'm absolutely adoring working in conjunction with women who far exceed my talents as we decide on paint colors, furniture arrangements, and landscaping. I'm also greatly enjoying working with other staff and volunteers to script a biblical/missional vision into which we may bring members of our church so that we best learn how to humbly pursue hospitality within the church walls (something that is far too easy to lost in a church, yet should sit in a place of primacy as it speaks so openly and cross-culturally about the power of the gospel).

2. With the extra hours I am able to spend at the church, God has provided an incredible opportunity to work with a few other women in planning a women's conference for women in our region of Acts 29. Those of you who know me well, know exactly the height to which my heart lept when I was given the "OK" to work on this project! I have realized over the years that women's ministry is something that challenges me and transforms me in more ways than anything else I have encountered (with regard to serving in ministry, that is). It is scary to plan something that will be attended by a number of women who hunger and thirst for the Word of God. It means that my beliefs (or misbeliefs) about God will directly impact the theology that is cultivated by women attending the event. It therefore requires me to leave "me" at the doormat and trudge on through the power of the Spirit alone. I  am not good at allowing that to happen. God must continually transform me so that I can both, trust him to be the one who shapes the hearts of the women with whom I pursue ministry and not my misbeliefs, and trust him to change my heart so that I actually am able to experience the pleasures and pains for doing ministry through him to the extent that he has intentionally measured out for my life.

More thoughts to come on this "switch" soon. I'm currently scripting my support letter for the summer internship... perhaps it will make an appearance here soon.

1 comment:

  1. oh. my goodness. I am SO excited for you!! We have so much to catch up on!!

    ReplyDelete